in ,

Globe blocks more than 165 M spam/scam messages in 2016

Globe blocks more than 165 M spam/scam messages in 2016
source: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcebutechblogger.com%2Fspam-scam-messages-blocked-by-globe-in-2016-average-200k-blocked-per-day%2F&psig=AOvVaw2waTjPSlDlZ6RUpqeP0IuE&ust=1606385806723000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAMQjB1qFwoTCLip9NO7ne0CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

Following an accelerated campaign versus unwanted spam/scam messages, Globe Telecom blocked more than 165 million of such messages in 2016, aided by the use of a comprehensive and fully automated mechanism to rid its network of unwanted and unsolicited text messages.

Additionally, last year, Globe disconnected around 1,700 prepaid numbers from the network because they were being used as a source of spam/scam messages.

Read also: Globe teams up with League of Vice Governors to develop telco infra

“Our new blocking mechanism has proven to be very effective in preventing transmittal of unwanted spam and scam messages. We are now closer, more than ever, to having a spam-free network and the combination of technology, skills, and malasakit to customers made this possible.

Notwithstanding the significant progress we have achieved in our anti-spam campaign, the company remains committed in further stepping up our drive against spammers to keep our network consistently free of these annoying and unwanted messages,” Globe Chief Information Security Officer Anton Bonifacio said.

The company established a new hardware and software solution, which can filter up to 1 billion SMS a day, as part of its current blocking mechanism implemented in February last year.

The new anti-spam solution now enables Globe to prevent spam/scam messages from other networks from reaching the Globe network.

Following the expansion of the company’s anti-spam/scam campaign to include similar messages coming from other networks, the average number of blocked messages rose to 1.1 million/day in November.

Bonifacio reported that spammers using other networks (35% from Smart and 40% from Sun) originated about 75% of such messages, while the Globe network sent the remaining 25%. He added that the mechanism now covers the majority of the company’s postpaid and prepaid customers, totaling 65.4 million at the end of September 2016.

To keep its customers from receiving spam and scam messages, Globe operationalized in September 2014 an automated filtering functionality that reduced the number of such messages going through the Globe network.

They have upgraded and expanded this mechanism to effectively prevent the transmission of spam and scam messages coming from other networks. The design allows reconfiguring the filtering mechanism to address the kinds of spam and scam messages that pass through the Globe network.

Read also: ​​Globe launches #CyberPinoy cyberwellness campaign to promote online health and safety

Aside from blocking spam and scam messages from going through the Globe network, the telecommunications provider also blocks from the Globe network prepaid numbers found to be consistent source of spam and scam text messages.

Some of these numbers were the subject of complaints that customers reported through the Globe Stop Spam. Customers simply need to provide all the details of the spam and scam messages they received on their mobile devices. The service then disconnects numbers that have been verified as a constant source of spam messages.

Report

Written by Proudly Filipino

For features and advertising inquiries, please email  editor@proudlyfilipino.com. You can also contact us via THIS PAGE

Want Your Brand or Story To Be Featured?

Proudly Filipino - HIghlighting the Philippines

🤩Do you have photos, stories, and brands that you’d like to be featured? Do you know someone that needs to be featured?

👉Message us via m.me/ProudlyFilipinoCom and we’ll showcase their talents, skills, products, and services to the world!

👉Don’t forget to follow and like #ProudlyFilipino #BestOfThePhilippines #BestOfTheFilipinos

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Loading…

0

What do you think?

President Duterte visits Tacloban City housing project, vows to relocate displaced families by March

President Duterte visits Tacloban City housing project, vows to relocate displaced families by March

Casa Gorordo Museum holds art contest